.

Time until sign-ups begin:

Sunday, August 7, 2016

Champions Vs Shadows #2 Round 2 Reviews: T.C. Elliott

1) Governing Dynamics - Dark Energy - I've researched your game choice and sound bites. It's almost cheating to be able to use these speeches this way… almost. Or genius. Because it works perfectly. The production is very good, the overall sound is good. The synth work with the piano line panned to the right is a nice counterbalance that works beautifully, imo. The vocals are excellent, as well. The lyric and melody work well together. The chorus is just catchy enough to satisfy my need for light in this otherwise dark song. But I like the dark, too. I don't have anything I dislike about the song. I'll be listening to this one again. You nailed it in my opinion.

2) Heather Zink - Ms. Pac-Man - I like the passing tone/slight dissonance in the main melody run in the piano line. The harmony vox works very well for me. The lyric is a good one, at least the angle is, the idea behind the song. I like the point of view and I think you've successfully put that point of view outside the game and into song.  It works for me.  You used the sound effects well enough. Overall this is a well written and well performed song. The sound could have been better, though. I've found it difficult to record a piano well and the production on this song is fine, but it suffers in comparison to the competition.  

Shadow) Ben Taggart - Ballad Of The Mushroom Kingdom - I'm kind of surprised at how well the sound effects work with the acoustic guitar, folk ballad story telling. Well done on that front. I liked the angle on the lyric, the focus on the mushrooms was a killer idea. *slaps knee*  The song works, but not having to be compared to the entries is helpful, as I feel the idea is good, the implementation is fine, but overall it just isn't as creative as either of the "official" entries. The production meets expectation and it works fine for what is. I enjoyed listening well enough and it's probably better than I would have done, but I liked the two entries a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment