.

Time until sign-ups begin:

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Champions Vs Shadows #2 Round 1 Reviews: Ted Kiper

Hello, hello! Welcome again to Spintunes! Once again, I am honored to participate as your judge. Unfortunately, I am battling something like allergies or bronchitis or something. Due to self-treatment, my writing may be a bit... wonky. Rest assured, my rankings were made well before these reviews, when my sense of judgement was quite intact. Anyway, before I sound a little too silly... Let's review the challenges.

Champions Challenge: 
Going Down?: Write a song meant to be played on an elevator. (2 minimum length) (they had 10 days) 

Shadows Challenge: 
Unstable: Write a song about losing control. It can mean losing your temper, losing control over something physical, etc...etc… This is not just a topical challenge, meaning the music itself should give the impression that someone is losing control. (2 minimum length) (they had 10 days)

Now let's see how I thought you guys handled it:

------------------------------------------------

Heather Zink - Dementia
Rank: 1
Score: 45

Challenge: 11
Lyrics: 6
Composition: 6
Songcrafting: 6
Arrangement: 4
Performance: 3
Recording: 4
Judge's Whim: 5
Summary: This seems to match the challenge best, it is exhibiting the act of "losing control", not so much already lost or going to be lost. The notes dropping out of existance as the song progresses is a thoughtful touch. The vocal harmonies seem a little lost and deranged; perhaps on purpose?


Ben Taggart - Master Of My Destiny
Rank: 2
Score: 43

Challenge: 10
Lyrics: 6
Composition: 4
Songcrafting: 4
Arrangement: 4
Performance: 4
Recording: 4
Judge's Whim: 7
Summary: Goodness, what an incredible improvement from your last entry! This is my favorite song in the round, congratulations. It's unfortunate that I couldn't rate this higher; I'm guessing it was because I didn't feel that the execution was a tiny bit too sloppy. Chord progression is a bore, but this is one of the best songs that I know uses it. Excellent overall concept! 
 
3. Kevin Savino-Riker - Wait Right Here
Rank: 3
Score: 43

Challenge: 10
Lyrics: 6
Composition: 6
Songcrafting: 7
Arrangement: 4
Performance: 3
Recording: 3
Judge's Whim: 4
Summary: Well, it sounds like elevator music. I should know because I'm not a very good fan of the genre. Good job! Yet, I'm not sure if this song has tones of sexuality...

4. Rob From Amersfoot - I'm So Stable
Rank: 4
Score: 42

Challenge: 9
Lyrics: 5
Composition: 6
Songcrafting: 6
Arrangement: 3
Performance: 3
Recording: 4
Judge's Whim: 6
Summary: I like the song, but I feel like the end highlights what the whole song should be. Going crazy is definitely happening. Sensible at first, chaotic at the end. Not bad.

5. Mick Bordet - You Remind Me
Rank: 5
Score: 41

Challenge: 10
Lyrics: 6
Composition: 6
Songcrafting: 5
Arrangement: 4
Performance: 3
Recording: 3
Judge's Whim: 4
Summary: Goodness, it's dark! This kind of stuff would make Roger Waters proud. Quite a doomy, gloomy mood. Not a bad song by any measure, especially the interesting lyrics, but a pinch of energy might have really helped.


6. Boffo Yux Dudes - Instability
Rank: 6
Score: 38

Challenge: 9
Lyrics: 4
Composition: 4
Songcrafting: 6
Arrangement: 4
Performance: 3
Recording: 3
Judge's Whim: 5
Summary: Science for the win! But no mention about atomic bombs? What a missed opportunity! Unforunately, this is much too messy for my taste. The words are often lost upon themselves. At least the ending is pretty cool. Or is it thermodynamically hot? Enlighten me.

7. Governing Dynamics - Rise
Rank: 7
Score: 35

Challenge: 6
Lyrics: 6
Composition: 6
Songcrafting: 5
Arrangement: 2
Performance: 2
Recording: 4
Judge's Whim: 4
Summary: Well, well. With all due (massive amounts of) respect, this song doesn't much cut it for me. "Killing floor" and "blood and gore" just seem a bit violent for waiting in an elevator with your slow-jamming music. It's an OK song, but I'm spoiled in hearing more spectacular works from you. In my goofy attempt to lighten the revealing of this rank, I'll let you decide which label I should bump on this song: (1) "sloppy-pop", or (2) "Goo Goo Dolls overdosing on heroin". Please, pick the one that made you smile more.

--------------------------

Conclusion:
Thanks for making the time to submit! I appreciate some of the minimalistic approaches, and you guys never cease to amaze me. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment