.

Time until sign-ups begin:

Saturday, March 1, 2014

SpinTunes #8 Round 2 Review: David Ritter

You all cranked out some really great songs this round.  The ratings were very tight.  You all did very well.  There were shadows that were great as well.  The recordings are better this time, and I can tell the performances were better and more effort was made.  Thank you all for submitting your songs.  It was an honor to listen to them and rate them.
 
Jenny Katz - Voodoo Doll
Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Guitar playing, guitar lines,  beautiful voice, lyrics, depth, everything.  WOW. -- 11
 
Fear (Of Fealure) and (Self) Loathing In Las Vegas
Jamming bass line at the beginning!  Ripping vocals enter... I love the groove going on.  WOW.  This one is my favorite.  I could write and write about how I love this. --- 10
 
Army Defense - What Can I Do
Tight!!!!!  Guitar solo... mind boggling.  Eat this, Jimmy Page.  This song is full of fancy.  Great Job!  9.3
 
Edric Haleen - Born Of Hate
Another powerful one from Edric.  Belongs in a big time musical.  You could have really screwed up with the guns in the background but you nailed it.  Powerful words and Vocals.  Beautiful piano playing. 9
 
Felix Frost - Steely
Sounds like you spent a good amount of time on this!  Nice job!  I keep thinking 12 tone serialism for some reason...  The instruments are very well done.  Nice job conveying your message with your music.  8
 
Brian Gray - Stupid Face
Sometimes I think this is Da Vinci's Notebook reincarnate.  I have to say that Bags of Poo makes me giggle.  The background vocals are awesome.  This song is very nice.  I will smile now.  8
 
Ross Durand - Sometimes
Well done song - you made that D chord riff work without singing cheesy.  I like the hate, hate, hate, hate..... sometimes.  Cool!  ---8
 
Jailhouse Payback - Clippedcorners
The mix of the banjo and guitars sound very nice.  "In SpinTown" - nice. ---8
 
Jutze - I Hate You
Animal from the muppets.  Sorry - I had to say that.  "But to the person who came up with this challenge"... "I hate you".  I was laughing. I fear this song will get lower ratings because of the style (I'm not a fan of this genre either but ...)   -- 8
 
Adam Sakellarides - Damn You
A little pitchy.  The song is so funny.  Poor Benedict.  This would have received  a higher rating if the vocal take was better. - 8
 
Caravan Ray - Disdain In The Refrain
The word turd.  Is this the 2nd song I have heard that word in this round?  {Goes back and sees if Turd gets extra points for use in the lyrics}{Comes back.... wonders}  Fun Song!!! Funny vocals.  I like!  ---8
 
Governing Dynamics - Trump Card
Cool effect on the voice along with your cool vocals coming right out of your mouth. I wasn't a fan of the bridge.  I think it was the direction.  But hey - It's artistic license though.  You have some cool things in here.  I did enjoy the last song you did more. Guitar solo was full of cool - 7
 
Dr. Lindyke - I Hate Myself for Loving You
Very nice guitar.  Very nice.  Oh man... love the groove.  I really wish the vocal sound fit in.  I would love to hear it remixed.  If the vocal take wasn't with quality equipment maybe an effect to mask it would have worked.  The wood block is cool. I would have given a much higher score if the vocal sound fit in.  I do want to be clear - the vocal performance was good, just the recording of it --7
 
T.C. Elliott - You Cheated on Me (And Now I Hate You)
This is the classic hate song :-)  Cheating.  Ok... I like this - I like the effort of the recurring "cheated on me, cheated on me"... but as it keeps recurring, it feels less and less effective.  The perfect 4th intervals on the melody had the same feeling for me.  Tweaking the melody might make this better. --7
 
Zoe Gray- Black With You
The piano needs a tune up so that was right there staring at me the whole time I listened to the song.  Your voice is very interesting.  The song is like a mix of an art song (piano accompaniment) and modern pop music (vocals).  Good Job.  --- 7
 
I Hate You - James Young
Pop filter on the vocals will help the popping of the K's and P's.  This song would benefit from some more high end in the mix.  Finding a way to open up the mix (spread it) would help also.  It's a good song, nice vibe going on.  --6
 
DQs
 
TurboShandy - Stoic
Nice acoustic guitar tone!  Nice Harmonies!  Harmonica is cool!  This is a nice song - Unfortunately it doesn't meet the challenge requirements for the topic - a hate song.  This is a heartbreak song.  I wish I didn't have to DQ this.  The ending was fun too with the harmonica and dog howling :-)
 
Sara Parsons - Who Am I Kidding
That voice.  Very nice.  Caught a few pops that a pop filter would help in the vocals. The harmony was very pretty.  Try not to let the recording get so hot/high that it distorts - which happens during the harmonies.  I wish this song was about hate though.  I hate giving out DQs. (no pun intended).  Keep your shin up Sara and keep making music- it is devastating to get a DQ.  Come back next time- even shadow the rest of the competition.  I would love to hear more music from you.
 
Shadows
 
T.C. Elliott - The Kitchen Table (shadow)
LOL.  Everything starts out like a southern guitar song.... then comes naked.... table... and effing.  LOL.  I'd like to hear the bass line come out more in the mix.  The guitar solo - It would be cool to hear something a little more interesting... I know it's a rock tune/southern song... but the minor pentatonic solo felt placed in a song that was better than it was.  Hope that explains what I'm trying to convey.  Funny!
 
Menage a Tune - Wevenge (shadow)
Fun little song.  Watch getting away from singing with the piano. Better Wun!  LOL.  Polish a little bit.  Nice and Fun!
 
@suspiciousden - 23 to dust (Shadow)
Interesting voice.  The piano is very pretty.  Some added instruments might have helped this song out - your voice is fun, I'm just not sure the timbre stands alone enough to be with just piano - not your fault.  Some voices just live in a different spectrum.  Good job.
 
Heather Miller - You Make Me (Shadow)
Wow.  Cool start!!!!!  This song's vibe is coooooooooooooool!  That acoustic guitar is nice... I love where it's playing and not playing.  Your vocals are sweet.  Wow.  Great job Heather.  Great Job!!!! I wish this was in the contest.
 
Boffo Yux Dudes - Suitcase Full of Hate (shadow)
That guitar --- Oh YES.  The idea of a suitcase full of hate is genius.  Bring the vocals up a little bit in the mix.  I wish this was in the contest.

No comments:

Post a Comment